Saturday, March 29, 2014

HUGE recap, HEAVY on pictures! Days 72-95, St. Baldrick's in the morning, and why I'm hat crazy!!!

Shaving my head to support research for a cure of childhood cancer = I should have done this sooner.

I'm shaving my hair = blue/purple!
This has been one busy winter.  We have stayed at my parents' house for two months, which was fantastic for many reasons, my favorite is because it's 5 minutes from work.  I brought all my crafting stuff with me with the intention of organizing it.

Spoiler alert:  Yep, that didn't happen.  Still, I had room to craft, and knowing I would have a shaved head in Central New York in March spurred my interest in hats.

I'm still working on the CAL crochet afghan from MooglyBlog.  I'm behind a few squares, but the CAL is beautifully spaced so I have LOTS of time to catch up.

So with all the ins and outs, ups and downs of this fricking absurd winter in Central New York, I somehow still was pliable enough to feel moved when my friend's 9 year old son signed up as a shavee for a St. Baldrick's event.  This little guy is special to me; I watched him being born.  He committed to raise $1,000 in just over 30 days, and had been growing his hair for months, so I felt compelled to join him.  As of this evening, I am about $35 short of my $1,000 goal, which isn't shabby at all.


Here are a few of the hats I've made.  The blue & grey one looks like a hammerhead shark. The fall color hat is made from a wool yarn I once felted a purse from, and I still have leftover yarn.

For the event in the morning, Rich just FaceTimed me from Jo-Ann Fabrics so we could be sure I had appropriate face paint for tomorrow.  I am shaving my head to honor Heather & Ashley as well as other people afflicted with cancer.  Tomorrow, I will wear Heather's name on my left cheek, and Ashley's name on my right.  And both of them, and many many more, in my heart.

Pictures of me sans hair and with new hats are pending.

No comments:

Post a Comment